In the mornings as I prepare my pot of coffee, and you sit in your chair, I sing "This is the day, this is the day. That the Lord has made, that the Lord has made. We will rejoice, we will rejoice, and be glad in it, and be glad in it. This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it. This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made!" You love it, and get excited as you intently watch me move across the kitchen floor. We sing a lot together, and each time I'm reminded of a song from my childhood I am reminded by the words and they become a prayer for you my darling girl. I pray for you throughout my entire day. My thoughts are always on you, but often my actions don't reflect what my deepest desires are for my role as your mother. I fail often, and am humbled daily by the grace given to me through your sweet smile and snotty nose smudges on my shoulder from your tight snuggles. I fear as you get older, my actions won't be so quickly forgotten. My bad attitude on silly mundane tasks, or sharp tongue towards your dad about things that truly matter so little won't be unnoticed as your grow more aware. Oh sweet girl, how I hope to become better for you. I want to show you a heart of thankfulness daily. An attitude that is glorifying and uplifting. I want to point out the blessings all around me, rather than focusing on my failures and the frustrations that come along with them. I want to hold my tongue and speak only kind words about others. I want to exemplify joy, gratitude, love, and not discontentment or bitterness. I want to be so many things for you, Zaylee, but most of all I want to show you Christ through my life so that you may grow to love Him with your whole heart.
This morning as we came down to the kitchen, and daddy was putting his shoes on for work, I said to you, "Ugh! Mommy forgot to clean off your highchair again! Why has mom been so lazy lately. It's so frustrating!" Your dad quickly replied, "SHH! What are you thankful for today?" Zaylee, I am thankful for your father and the gentle, kind, loving man that he is. He has been the best example of Christ's loves to me throughout our friendship and now marriage, and I pray someday you will find a man that show's you the same. For now, I am just thankful you have him to call your dad! He is such a blessing to me. You my dear, are the greatest joy, and we are so very thankful for your presence in our life. Beyond thankful. I am your mom. MOM. That is the biggest blessing I have ever been given, and something I will never fully be able to express in words. I am so fully aware of the honor it is to be at home with you every day, taking care of our home, preparing meals, doing laundry, sweeping the floor for the third time in one day, and I am filled with joy and thankfulness. This is what I dreamed of and this is what I was made to be. Your mom, and your daddy's wife. I couldn't ask for anything more fulfilling than those two things, even on days that don't go my way and are tiring and frustrating. They humble me, and bring on a whole new sense of gratitude. I love you.
![]() |
| I'm thankful for bundled up walks to the park! |
Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

No comments:
Post a Comment