Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I Don't Want to Forget...

...the first couple weeks! 

The other day dad and I were talking about how in a little over a month you will be ONE year old!!  It is hard to believe, and the time seemed to just fly by.  I started this blog for you when you were just about three months old, and I have loved writing in it for you.  It started out with mixed purposes and I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted out of it, but I knew I wanted it to be our secret and only for family eyes to see.  It is our personal memoir of our life with you, and I love that it is sacred.  Although I do all the writing, dad often reminds me of things to put down for memories sake, and this is one of them.  Since I started this well into your first year of life, he thought it would be a good idea to put down some thoughts from our first months with you so we had an accurate account of your first year!  Here are a few highlights, thoughts, adventures, and facts about your first few months, but I can't promise the true accuracy as it all gets a little blurry when looking back.

Going home outfit!  So pretty!



We brought you home on an unusually hot, eighty degree day for March.  It was Sunday afternoon on March 18, the air was muggy and the sun shining bright.  You slept the whole way in the car without making a peep, as I held your head in my hand to prevent it from rolling side to side.  Turned out, we had your carseat all wrong and what was meant to be your headrest was instead fit snug around your little baby butt.  Dad drove extra careful and we couldn't wait to get you home! We stopped at Caribou to pick up a Spicy Chocolate Mocha for me, and headed down the street to Bunker Hill Court.  The first thing we did when we arrived was open up the computer and skype with your Mamie, Papi and family in France.  They were overjoyed and wanted so badly to hold you right then and there.  As we were chatting, you my dear had your first blowout and made quite the mess.  A wonderful welcome home gift for us to receive! :)  Grandma D and Grandpa D were out picking up a few things for you, and shortly returned home.  It was so nice to have family around us, and later that day Uncle Craig, Aunt Janine, Micah, Avery and Cohen came over to meet you, as well as, our good friend David!  They all loved on you, and gave you many kisses and snuggles.  From the start Micah was so in love with you, and he is still just the sweetest thing when it comes to you!  It was a fun day and a great way to be welcomed back home with you my dear girl.

Our first night in our own room was so wonderful.  We went to bed right after your 11 o'clock feeding, and at 3:30 in the morning I woke up to find you fast asleep!  I woke your dad up and he gently took you out of your wooden cradle and changed your diaper to wake you a bit so I could feed you.  You ate well and went straight back to sleep until dad had to get up for work at 7:30.  I fed you as he got ready, and he was able to snuggle you before heading off for his first day back to work.  That would be the routine for the next few weeks.  You were a great sleeper from the start and we felt so blessed and most definitely did not take it for granted.  I was told by many women to not mention your good sleep pattern to other moms for fear they may hate me, so when people would comment about the sleepless nights, dad and I would just look at each other and say, we are blessed with a good sleeper and leave it at that.  You truly fell straight into a pattern, and would most commonly wake at 3-3:30 every night for those first weeks, with a few nights here and there switching it up and waking at around 1:30 and then again at 5.  Dad would get you out of your bed, change you, and hand you off to me, and then so graciously swaddle you back up and place you back in your cradle.  We made a good team, and I was so thankful for his help and support.  Often times when I was feeding you he would lay there with his hand on your head and say, "You are a good mom, thank you for all you do."  It meant the world to me!

The first week Grandma D stayed with us, and did more than I could have hoped for.  She was such a great help and encouragement to me.  I felt so comfortable and cared for.  My incision was pretty sore, so housework was not on my list of things, but Grandma D kept things so nice and even ironed all of daddy's work shirts for me!  I took a few naps while you laid snug on my chest, and we would both wake in hot sweats.  You were so tiny and perfect and I never wanted to put you down!  When you were 6 days old, Aunt Erin and the kids came to visit!  We took you on your first walk down the street to the little park while the kids ran wild.  Kendrick couldn't get enough of you, and wanted to hold you every minute.  



By the end of that first week, my emotions started failing me and I was quite the mess.  There were moments in the day that you were extra hungry wanting to eat every two hours, and I thought that was too soon because of things I had read.  Grandma D had went back to work, and Grandpa D was subbing in.  He too was a great help, and gave you your bath, scrubbed the floors, cleaned windows, and loved on you lots and lots!  I was a mess, and he wasn't sure how to handle it, but he did great and reminded me that it was ok to cry but wanted me to know I was doing a great job, and it was ok to feed you more if you needed it in the first couple weeks.  So I did, and all was right again!  That weekend we went out for the first time, and browsed Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a few things we still needed in the house to complete some of the projects we had started.  Aunt Diane and Uncle Fred met up with us, and we all ate at Chipotle together.  You were so good the whole time, and it was so nice to get out of the house for a bit!


We had our first day alone with you when you were 11 days old.  Dad took the day off of work to be with me, and we headed out to return a few boy items we had bought before you were born and exchanged them for some girlie things!  We perused the aisles of World Market, one of our favorite stores, and picked up some treats and a cute picture for your room.  People kept commenting on how sweet you looked nuzzled in to daddy's shoulder.  It was so fun taking you out and having you with us.  We were still in awe that you were ours, TO KEEP!  We decided because you did so well all day, we would go on a little "date" for dinner.  Well that was a mistake, and we learned quickly that we should wait a few more weeks to try that again.  We ate separately while one of us walked around with you, and I realized it was your meal time, but I forgot any sort of cover to nurse you.  So we soothed you by walking and checking out all that was around you!  :)


The following day, we went to O'Hare to pick up your Mamie as she had flown in to spend the week with us.  I brought a bottle so that she could feed you when she arrived, and she was speechless as she stared at you, tears of joy filling her eyes.  We sat and talked awhile as the hustle and bustle of the airport buzzed around us, and just gazed at your sweet little self in your polka dot, strawberry bottomed outfit! 


That week was so special with your Mamie as she soaked you in and kissed you thousands of times while snuggling you close to her.  She was mesmerized by you, and it was a joy to see.  I was at my peak of emotions and felt so off kilter.  I took long showers and sometimes let out my tears as the water hit against my face, all the while, you slept peacefully in your Mamie's arms.  It was so great to have her there, and we were so thankful that she made the long trip to come meet you and be a support to us.  She cooked, cleaned, and helped me immensely always making sure I was fed, well watered, and was able to take care of myself.  On the weekend, we took a day trip to Davenport to meet your Great-grandfather, Roman (Jack) Zay, and his family.  He had recently broke his hip, so we met the family at the nursing home in which he was receiving therapy.  He was tired when we arrived, but seemed very happy to meet you.  It was a short trip, but we were so thankful it all worked out to see him.  It was a three hour drive, and unfortunately your feeding schedule just so happened to be in the middle of both of the drives.  The road to Davenport is long, empty, and lacking many places to stop along the way.  I had an extremely hard time hearing you cry in those first weeks, and would start to tear up and feel heavy chested.  Mamie reminded me that it was ok for you to cry, and in fact, it was even good for you.  It was a wonderful day, and we were all exhausted upon arriving home!  You slept GREAT that night!  Our week with Mamie went quickly, and was very special to all of us.


The first two weeks went by quickly!  I was dealing with a lot of emotions, but was so extremely overwhelmed with joy that you were here and you were mine.  There were a lot of snuggles and kisses.  After the Grandma's left, we were on our own.  I was a bit nervous, but also very excited to start our own routine during the days, just you and me, sweet girl! 

Then it was just the three of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment