Friday, September 14, 2012

Half a Year Already!

Zaylee Jean,

You are six months old.  Half a year.  Where did the time go?  It seems like just yesterday your Dad and I were watching you move around under the skin of my belly, waiting for you to come into our world, but at the same time, I can't picture my life before you.  Honestly, I don't want to!  You have blessed my life so immensely, and in so many ways.
Six month pictures, in a six month outfit that is clearly too big :)

The other day I was looking through the pictures from the day you were born, and it hit me like a tidal wave how much you have changed already.  My little baby, isn't so little anymore.  You are growing fast, and changing so quickly.  I wish I could stop time every once in a while.  Hold you as you sleep a little longer.  Lock away your sweet, baby smell so I may never forget the warmth it brings to my senses.  As much as I wish I could stop time, I truly enjoy every minute I have with you.  Watching your face light up when Dad walks through the door.  Our morning walks, and your inquisitive little face as  you take in the world around you.  The way your little hand reaches up and strokes my face as I sing to you.  Your smile that lights up a room.  The way you talk and play with the different sounds that come our of your cute mouth.  Your big, almond shaped, blue eyes, outlined with big, long lashes.  Every little thing about you brings so much joy to your Father and I.

From the day you came into the world, we referred to you as Sweet Zaylee.  It seemed to be what most people called you, as they congratulated us and welcomed you into the world.  It is so fitting.  Dad often says, "You are such a sweet girl, will you stay sweet forever please?"  There is something about you that is just plain sweet.  There is no other word for it.  You give smiles so freely, and your eyes can brighten even the worst day.  When I hold you on my hip, your little hand squeezes my arm tight and you nuzzle your face into my shoulder.  It melts me.  I pray your heart remains sweet, and you use it to touch the lives around you.  I pray you use it to show others the love of Christ.

Zaylee in the last six month, you have changed so much.  You've always enjoyed tummy time, and have become so strong because of it.  You roll around the floor with ease.  Sitting up is something that comes easily to you now, although sometimes you still tumble as you reach for a toy just a bit to far from you.  This past week you have mastered the army crawl, and have become quite quick at getting to where you want to go as you pull yourself across the floor.  You refuse to eat just about everything, but you love sitting in your highchair and talking with us as we eat our dinner.  I must just have really good milk, because it seems to be all you want.  Between me and you, I love that fact because feeding you those five feedings a day are my most favorite moments.  Your little hands can pick up everything now.  We love watching your face as you intently stare at the object you are pinching between your small fingers, and gleefully swirl it in the air once you've gotten hold of it.  We wonder if you will be left handed, as that seems to be the hand you choose most often.  It is so fun watching you grow and learn each day.  We have so many pictures of you and short videos of all the little things you do.  We don't want to forget anything.

Our days are pretty predictable, but you seem to like your routine.  You wake around 7:30 every morning, and you greet me with the brightest smile.  As soon as I pick you up you are hunting for food with wildly impatient force.  It cracks me up every time.  You nurse the longest first thing in the morning, a total of about 12 minutes.  We head down stairs to get my coffee started, and we lie on the floor and I try to entertain you enough to make you stay up for at least an hour.  You love your morning nap and it is hard to keep you happy much past 8:45 before you are begging to be laid back down.  Before every nap I hold you tight against my chest while you hold the ear of your pink bunny, and I sing You Are My Sunshine softly in your ear.  I kiss your forehead and place you in your bed on your left side and watch you rub that soft, floppy ear holding it over your face and you hum a sweet moan drifting off to restful sleep.  You sleep anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours, and on occasion a bit longer.  As of right now, you are still taking three naps a day:  8:45, 12:00, and 3:00, and bedtime is between 7 and 7:30.

Every morning after your first nap, we take a 30-40 minute walk around Briar Patch Park.  It seems to be the highlight for both of us on our days at home.  I use the time to pray, and find great peace in this time with you.  I pray for you, for Dad and I and my hopes for raising you up to love the Lord.  I pray for patience for myself, as sometimes I lack in that area, and for you I want to be better.  I want to show you gentleness and grace.  I'm so thankful for your Dad for so many reasons, but his patience is one of them.  You are so blessed to have such a patient, kind, loving man as your Father.  He is so strong for me when I lose my bearings.  Speaking of your Dad, he works so hard for us.  It is the biggest blessing that he is able to come home each day and spend time with us on his lunch break.  We love seeing him, and I know it makes his time at work a bit less stressful with a little dose of you to fill his day. 

Bath time is something you truly enjoy.  We only do it every other night, but you sure do love the water.  Lately we have let you sit up in the tub, which seems to be a big hit while you splash the water with great excitement.  It's something Dad and I like to do together, and I love that he helps and enjoys these moments with you.  I usually hand your little naked, wet body over to Dad and he wraps you up in your yellow or white towel.  We dress you, and talk with you.  I love these family moments, and hope they never change, although I'm sure they will someday!  Dad prays over you every night before bed.  It is a prayer he remembers hearing many times as a child from his Papi Marcel.  Each time I hear him say it, my heart gets that warm, heavy with joy feeling.  "Seingnier garde la du mal et du malin.  Soit avec elle jour et matin," he says with his hand resting on your head.  He kisses you and whispers, "Je t'aime ma cherie."  Oh he loves you so, sweet Zaylee!  I too pray over you before I put you in your bed, in the darkness of your room, with the sound of the waterfall cutting the silence.  "Thank you for this great day.  Thank you for the blessing of this sweet girl.  Protect her and keep her as she sleeps."

We will never stop praying for you Zaylee.  We want the very best for you, and for you to know that no matter what we will always be here for you.  We are far from perfect, and will make many mistakes, but we hope that we will teach you forgiveness and grace.  I can't wait to see the woman you grow to be, but for now, I want time to slow down.  You are such a happy baby, and rarely ever fuss or cry.  People always remark on your happy demeanor, and dad and I feel so proud to be your parents.  We thank the Lord for your contentment with life, and truly feel blessed through your joyful spirit.

We love you so, Sweet Zaylee.  Never grow up! 


No comments:

Post a Comment