...Pregnancy: The Good Stuff!
Two days before we got to see you for the first time, I spent the morning in the Emergency Room. I spent 21 hours hunched over that dreaded white porcelain, and I mean 21 solid hours. By the time I would make it back to the bed and find a spot that I could rest in, I would be up running again. I didn't even attempt sips of water or ginger ale, because I knew it would just make me more miserable than I already was. I was 8 weeks pregnant, and still dealing with the extra worry that came along with housing a baby. The ultrasound couldn't come fast enough! I knew being nauseous was a good thing as everyone kept reminding me that sick equaled healthy baby, but I still wanted to have proof that my awful 21 hour episode didn't harm you in any way!
Dad was able to take off work and accompany me to our very first doctors appointment, and our very first peek at you! It was the afternoon on July 28th, and you were just 8 weeks old. We got an overload of information about the hospital, what to expect with our appointments each month, things I should and shouldn't do to ensure your health. Neither of us could fully concentrate, because, let's be honest, all we wanted to hear that day was, "There's your baby!" A little while later after all the talking, we were walked down to a room on the left side of the hallway. I laid on the cold exam table as the paper crinkled beneath me and your dad stood by my side holding my hand. The doctor we were seeing that day wasn't the friendliest of the bunch, but that didn't stop us from enjoying this moment. After a few minutes of probing and prodding, there you were on the screen. You were a tiny little ball of joy, and your heart was fluttering with each healthy beat. Overjoyed.
About 4 weeks later, on August 29th, we heard that flutter come to life as we listened to the sweet sound of your beating heart! We had just returned from Uncle Timmy and Aunt Bethany's wedding in Florida, and Aunt Jenny came with us. As I looked over at your dad with the sound of your heart filling the room, I saw his eyes welling with tears of love and joy for you sweet girl! 150 beats per minute. It was a wonderful moment, and a moment I looked forward to every month. I loved my doctors appointments and cherished each time I was able to hear the life inside me.
In early October, we flew down to Honduras to visit Grandma D and Grandpa D. In the middle of our trip we traveled to El Pariso with Antonio, Ana, and Cristofer. While there, we were sitting in the home that would soon be their's, Cristofer was asleep on my lap his body warm against my belly, and in that moment you kicked me for the first time! It startled me and I yelled to dad and Grandma D and exclaimed, "I just felt the baby!" Each day I would feel you more and more, and Dad would grow jealous at times because he wanted to feel you as well. On November 8th, I was laying on the couch with dad sitting next to me on the floor, and you started to dance around. I hurriedly grabbed Dad's hand and pushed it against my moving stomach, and for the first time he felt you kick the palm of his hand! Feeling you kick and squirm inside me was the highlight of my day, everyday!
On October 21st, we were able to see just how squirmy you were. We had the sweetest ultrasound tech who took her time and allowed us to have extra time just watching you move and swim around. Dad couldn't get over how gracefully you would move your legs. He said you were going to be a good swimmer someday, and I would have to agree! You were looking right at us with your pretty little eyes, and never once stopped kicking your legs or tickling my bladder. It was such a special moment and a blessing to hear the words, "Your baby looks strong and healthy!" We were so in love, and couldn't wait to see you in our arms rather than on the screen! I cherished the next 20 weeks, and truly loved feeling you and knowing you were safe and warm inside me.
No comments:
Post a Comment